Your shopping cart is empty!
A 2020 double CD in jewel case reissue of California, Norfolk the debut album from Tim Bowness and Peter Chilvers featuring Michael Bearpark’s 2013 remaster of the original album, plus Overstrand (a collection of alternate versions), unreleased material earmarked for a follow-up album, and an EP's worth of live performances..
Burning Shed's first ever official cd release (in 2002), and available online only, the album’s two previous pressings have long been sold out.
Combining electronic textures and found sounds with panoramic arrangements and poignant lyrics, the album's synthesis of singer-songwriter intimacy and imaginative production values distinctively echoes aspects of The Blue Nile, Steve Reich, Laurie Anderson, Nick Drake, Peter Gabriel, and Brian Eno's work.
From the orchestral sweep of Hostage to the cinematic ambition of the 10 minute Winter With You via the slow-building intensity of Days Turn Into Years, the album forms a coherent suite of musical short stories that rates amongst the duo's strongest work.
This a jewel case re-press of the 2013 deluxe edition.
'Part balladry, part ambient, part soundscape - think of Nick Drake's Pink Moon as processed by Brian Eno.' - Brainwashed
'A haunting and delicate album.' - Exclaim, Canada
Top 5 in the Toronto Sun Anti-Hit List
Tim Bowness is vocalist/co-writer with the band No-Man, a long-running collaboration with Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson. In addition to releasing six studio albums and a documentary dvd with No-Man, Tim has worked with popular Italian artist Alice, Robert Fripp (King Crimson), Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music), Richard Barbieri (Japan/Porcupine Tree) and Judy Dyble (Fairport Convention) amongst many others
Peter Chilvers is a musician and software designer best known for creating the hugely successful iPhone/iPad applications Bloom, Trope and Scape with Brian Eno, and touring with Tim Bowness and Karl Hyde (Underworld). His work as a musical technician has included Eno's recent releases on Warp and collaboration with David Byrne, as well as the soundtracks to The Lovely Bones, Top Boy and Spore.
1. hostage (6.02)
2. california, norfolk (3.05)
3. post-its (5.01)
4. chant one (3:46)
5. also out of air (2.23)
6. days turn into years (4:55)
7. rocks on the green (3:53)
8. winter with you (10.10)
9. dreamer's song (5:32)
overstrand - alternate versions and extras
1. winter with you (alternate) (11.40)
2. post-its (alternate) (4.33)
3. sorry looking soldier (alternate) (6.24)
4. pear (4.29)
5. days turn into years (alternate) (8.33)
6. rocks on the green (alternate) (5.04)
7. chant five (2.44)
8. world of bright futures (alternate) (5.26)
sidestrand - missing pieces
9. criminal caught in the crime (13.43)
10. another world (edit) (3.38)
winterton - live songs
11. california, norfolk (niguliste, tallinn, estonia, 3rd december 2010) (2.57)
12. post-its (the ski lodge, norwich, united kingdom, 14th march 2003) (3.17)
13. dreaming of babylon (black swan, toronto, canada, 26th april 2003) (4.20)
14. sorry looking soldier (black swan, toronto, canada, 26th april 2003) (3.42)