A Kscope label double CD reissue of No-Man’s lauded fourth studio album featuring a 2017 remaster by Steven Wilson.
Originally released on the 3rd Stone label in February 2001, Returning Jesus is a collection of ambitious songs which combine Singer-Songwriter, Art Rock, ECM Jazz, and Ambient influences with the band’s unique widescreen production and seductively melancholy compositions.
Guest musicians include Steve Jansen (Japan/Rain Tree Crow) on drums, Colin Edwin (Porcupine Tree) on bass and double bass, Theo Travis (Soft Machine) on saxophone and flute, and Ian Dixon on trumpet. The late trumpeter Ian Carr (Nucleus), David Kosten (Faultline, Bat For Lashes) and Ben Christophers contribute to the evocative opening piece Only Rain.
The double CD contains the original album, plus a bonus CD of b-sides, demos and alternate versions (including some previously unreleased recordings).
Presented in a digipak with a 16 page booklet, featuring sleeve notes by Tim Bowness plus additional artwork and photographs from regular collaborator Carl Glover.
The first 500 orders come with an exclusive postcard signed by Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson. Please note that all the signed postcards have sold out.
CD 1 - Returning Jesus (2001):
1. Only Rain (7:24)
2. No Defence (5:20)
3. Close Your Eyes (8:25)
4. Carolina Skeletons (5:08)
5. Outside The Machine (5:46)
6. Returning Jesus (5:19)
7. Slow It All Down (3:42)
8. Lighthouse (8:12)
9. All That You Are (4:44)
CD 2 - EP Tracks/Demos/Alternate Versions (1994-2003):
1. Something Falls (3.34)
2. Close Your Eyes - 1998 EP version (7.47)
3. Carolina Reprise (3.00)
4. Until Tomorrow - Hi-Fi (2.59)
5. Chelsea Cap (5.25)
6. Darkroom (3.52)
7. Until Tomorrow - Lo-Fi (3.15)
8. Song About The Heart (2.48)
9. Lighthouse - First Demo (10.27)
10. Darkroom - Alternate Version (5.35)
11. Like A Child (4.10)
12. Chelsea Cap - Alternate Version (6.50)
13. Lighthouse - Second Demo (8.58)
14. Slow It All Down - Long Version (5.13)
15. All That You Are - Demo (4.36)
- Steven Wilson / instruments
- Ben Christophers / acoustic guitar (1,7)
- David Kosten / synthesizer & cymbal (1), co-producer (1)
- Ian Carr / trumpet (1)
- Ian Dixon / trumpet (2), flugelhorn (3,7,22)
- Theo Travis / saxophone (7,22), flute (8,14,19,20)
- Colin Edwin / bass, double bass (1,8)
- Steve Jansen / drums
- Rick Edwards / percussion (3,12,19)