Your shopping cart is empty!
Consisting of two books and previously unseen art and photos, All Gates Open is the definitive story of the most influential and revered avant-garde band of the late twentieth century.
In book one - All Gates Open - Rob Young eloquently chronicles the story of a band that emerged at the vanguard of the Krautrock scene in late 1960s Cologne. Book two - Can Kiosk - has been assembled by Irmin Schmidt, founding member and guiding spirit of the band, as a ‘collage’. It features an oral history of the band drawing on interviews Irmin conducted with musicians, artists and film-makers who see Can as an influence. Extracts from Irmin’s notebooks and diaries from 2013–14 are also reproduced as a reflection on the creative process.
Can’s singular legacy is beautifully articulated in this authoritative limited deluxe edition, which includes a 78 page full-colour facsimile of a rare communal Can notebook.
- Each book is numbered and signed by Irmin Schmidt and Rob Young
- Format: Royal (234x156mm)
- Printed on 90gsm woodfree paper, and handbound, cased in yellow vinyl, text blind blocked on front and spine, printed endpapers, orange ribbon, grey head and tail bands.
- Contains limited edition letterpress print (based on the cover artwork) numbered and signed by Irmin Schmidt
- Solander box: Covered and lined in Colorplan Smoke paper, artwork blocked in two pigment colours (yellow and orange).
Can 'studio notebook' includes
- Scribbles and jottings by all band members revealing the group’s playful sense of humour and surrealistic chains of thought
- The fragile pages show the emergence of song titles, LP sleeve and band logo proposals and mind-bending doodles and caricatures
- Japanese lyrics handwritten by Damo Suzuki
- Sketches of drum kit layouts by Jaki Liebezeit
- Insight into how Can came up with some of their most memorable track titles
This item will be shipped by courier.