Your shopping cart is empty!
Originally released in 2002, California, Norfolk was the debut album from Tim Bowness (No-Man) and Peter Chilvers (Brian Eno/Karl Hyde).
Burning Shed's first ever official cd release, available online only, the album quickly sold out and has been available for inflated prices on Ebay for the best part of a decade.
Combining electronic textures and found sounds with panoramic arrangements and poignant lyrics, the album's synthesis of singer-songwriter intimacy and imaginative production values distinctively echoes aspects of The Blue Nile, Steve Reich, Laurie Anderson, Nick Drake, Peter Gabriel, and Brian Eno's work.
From the orchestral sweep of Hostage to the cinematic ambition of the 10 minute Winter With You via the slow-building intensity of Days Turn Into Years, the album forms a coherent suite of musical short stories that rates amongst the duo's strongest work.
Ballad Electronica, 21st Century Ambient Folk, or perhaps the soundtrack to the best film you've never seen, this 2013 double cd reissue features the original album (re-mastered by Michael Bearpark) plus Overstrand (a collection of alternate versions), unreleased material earmarked for a follow-up album, and an EP's worth of live performances.
Presented in a deluxe dvd-sized digi-book, which includes sleeve notes by Tim Bowness and Peter Chilvers in addition to previously unseen artwork by Carl Glover.
'Part balladry, part ambient, part soundscape - think of Nick Drake's Pink Moon as processed by Brian Eno.' - Brainwashed, US
'A haunting and delicate album.' - Exclaim, Canada
Top 5 in the Toronto Sun Anti-Hit List
Tim Bowness is vocalist/co-writer with the band No-Man, a long-running collaboration with Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson. In addition to releasing six studio albums and a documentary dvd with No-Man, Tim has worked with popular Italian artist Alice, Robert Fripp (King Crimson), Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music), Richard Barbieri (Japan/Porcupine Tree) and Judy Dyble (Fairport Convention) amongst many others
Peter Chilvers is a musician and software designer best known for creating the hugely successful iPhone/iPad applications Bloom, Trope and Scape with Brian Eno, and touring with Tim Bowness and Karl Hyde (Underworld). His work as a musical technician has included Eno's recent releases on Warp and collaboration with David Byrne, as well as the soundtracks to The Lovely Bones, Top Boy and Spore.
1. hostage (6.02)
2. california, norfolk (3.05)
3. post-its (5.01)
4. chant one (3:46)
5. also out of air (2.23)
6. days turn into years (4:55)
7. rocks on the green (3:53)
8. winter with you (10.10)
9. dreamer's song (5:32)
1. winter with you (alternate) (11.40)
2. post-its (alternate) (4.33)
3. sorry looking soldier (alternate) (6.24)
4. pear (4.29)
5. days turn into years (alternate) (8.33)
6. rocks on the green (alternate) (5.04)
7. chant five (2.44)
8. world of bright futures (alternate) (5.26)
sidestrand - missing pieces
9. criminal caught in the crime (13.43)
10. another world (edit) (3.38)
winterton - live songs
11. california, norfolk (niguliste, tallinn, estonia, 3rd december 2010) (2.57)
12. post-its (the ski lodge, norwich, united kingdom, 14th march 2003) (3.17)
13. dreaming of babylon (black swan, toronto, canada, 26th april 2003) (4.20)
14. sorry looking soldier (black swan, toronto, canada, 26th april 2003) (3.42)